Friday, June 10, 2011

Traveling with your Camera(s)

While vacations can take place at any time of the year, summer is the traditional time for families to pack up, for workers to seek rest and relaxation, and for most of us to leave the confines of our normal world to experience new places.
I’ve been blessed to have done more than my share of traveling. Since I was a young boy I’ve always carried my camera with me. From my first Kodak Brownie to a hand-me-down 8mm film camera to my first Pentax SLR all the way to the my current Canon 60D and assortment of simple to professional HD video cameras, I’ve learned so much about capturing the essence of the places and people that I’ve been privileged to see.
While I’ve never been a professional, I have learned so many things that make simple photos and videos so much better -- things that anyone can learn and use to improve their own shots. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard compliments and praise for my work from family, family, co-workers, etc., and always I remember how easy it  is to capture images that set my work apart from the average vacation photos and videos.
My stuff doesn’t look like it came from National Geographic or the Discovery Channel, but it probably looks better than what most of us do. Anyone can do what I do and anyone can make photos and movies that you’re proud to share. And you won’t have to worry about people being bored seeing the same old “standing in front of the lake/building/statue/etc” photo!
Hopefully, I’ll be able to share a little of all the knowledge I’ve gained through experience and years of learning as I always tried to get better and better.  Check back regularly as I discuss ways to improve your own work as well as discuss equipment like cameras, lenses, software, etc., that will help you, too.
I'm on summer vacation from teaching right now so I'll be updating all the time. Feel free to email with questions and comments at any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment